May 17, 2014

May Reading Challenge | Day 17

Anchored In A Book | 5/17/2014 | | | |

Hosted by Tee The Quoter from Tumblr, Monthly Challenges are meant to help readers have fun while reading.  Each month, a new set of challenges will be posted, one for each day of the month.  For a complete list of the challenges for this month, click here.







DAY 17: *FAVORITE FIRST LINE*

The first lines of a book can make it or break it for readers.  They entice readers, grab them by the shirt and shove words into their face.

Without further ado, here are some of my favorite first lines, in no particular order:

"There is one mirror in my house.  It is behind a sliding panel in the hallway upstairs.  Our faction allows me to stand in front of it every second day of every third month, the day my mother cuts my hair."  -Divergent

"Cities are never random." -The Downsiders

"The sun sets in the west (just about everyone knows that), but Sunset Towers faced east.  Strange!  Sunset Towers faced east and had no towers." -The Westing Game

"Dear Friend, I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn't try to sleep with that person at the party even though you could have." -The Perks of Being a Wallflower

"It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientist perfected a cure." -Delirium

"The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.  Like, I will probably never be struck by lightning, or win a Nobel Prize, or become the dictator of a small nation on the Pacific Islands, or contract terminal cancer, or spontaneously combust.  But if you consider all the unlikely things together, at least one of them will probably happen to each of us.  I could have seen it rain frogs.  I could have stepped foot on Mats.  O could have been eaten by a whale.  I could have married the queen of England or survived months at sea.  But my miracle was different.  My miracle was this: out of all the houses in all the subdivisions in all of Florida, I ended up living next door to Margo Roth Spiegelman." -Paper Towns

No comments:

Leave A Comment