May 18, 2014

May Reading Challenge | Day 18

Anchored In A Book | 5/18/2014 | | | |

Hosted by Tee The Quoter from Tumblr, Monthly Challenges are meant to help readers have fun while reading.  Each month, a new set of challenges will be posted, one for each day of the month.  For a complete list of the challenges for this month, click here.







DAY 18: *FAVORITE DEDICATION*

Book dedications are really interesting, some are funny, heart-warming and thankful, while others are mean, outrageous or plain rude.  Many people tend to just skip right over them, and go straight to the story instead.

Here are some of my favorite book dedications, including all of the ones from A Series of Unfortunate Events series, because let's face it, Lemony Snicket is awesome.

A Series of Unfortunate Events:

  • For Beatrice: Darling, Dearest, Dead
  • My love for you shall live forever.  You however, did not.
  • I would much prefer it if you were alive and well.
  • My love flew like a butterfly, until death swooped down like a bat.  As the poet Emma Montana McElroy wrote, "That's the end of that."
  • You will always be in my heart, my mind, and your grave.
  • When we met my life began.  Soon afterwards, yours ended.
  • When we were together I felt breathless. Now you are.
  • Summer without you is as cold as winter.  Winter without you is even colder.
  • Our love broke my heart, and stopped yours.
  • When we first met, you were pretty, and I was lonely.  Now I am pretty lonely.
  • Dead women tell no tales.  Sad men write them down.     
  • No one could extinguish my love, or your house.
  • I cherished, you perished.  The world is nightmarish.
  • We are like boats passing in the night- particularly you.
Divergent:
  • To my mother, who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how strong her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long.
An Abundance of Katherines:
  • To my wife, Sarah Urist Green, anagrammatically: Her great Russian; Grin has treasure-A great risen rush.  She is a rut-anger; Anguish arrester; Sister; haranguer; Treasure-sharing; Heart-reassuring, Signature Sharer; Erasing rare hurts. 

No comments:

Leave A Comment